Sweet potato carrot fritters are economical and tasty, and they’re so quick to make that you can have them on the table in about 20 minutes. I first made these for a quick dinner a few days after my daughter gave birth to our grandson and they were thoroughly enjoyed by us all. They were a perfect choice at that time as we were totally focused on the new arrival! Since then, they continue to be made often.
I fry these lovely bright coloured fritters in a mixture of lard (ideally from a pasture raised happy pig!) and olive oil to give them a lovely crisp finish. For dinner we have two or three per person with steamed vegetables as a main course, and they can also be served as a side or snack. See my tips for lunch and starter serving suggestions.
This recipe is suitable for Thermomix TM6, TM5 and TM31.
- Mince ginger and chilli 5 sec/speed 7.
- Add carrots and sweet potatoes, then chop 10 sec/speed 5.
- Add flour, sea salt, pepper and eggs, mix 20 sec/speed 5, then scrape down sides of TM bowl with spatula. Use batter to make fritters straight away, or transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight before making fritters (my personal preference is to let the batter rest if I have time).
- Melt 2 tsp lard with 2 tsp olive oil in a heavy based frying pan over medium heat, add 3 large individual spoonfuls of batter to make 3 pancake shapes, press them flat with back of spoon, fry until crispy on edges, then turn over to finish frying on other side – each batch should take 4-8 minutes to cook.
- Repeat step 4 until batter is used up (see tips), adding more lard and olive oil with each batch.
Comments & Questions
Sign in or create your account to join the conversation