Many years ago, my lovely friend Merry Yang shared her tips for stir frying in a Thermomix. When I tried them in this delicious stir fried prawns with brown rice and broccoli dish, I was amazed and impressed with the result… tender, perfectly cooked prawns. This recipe serves three generously as a complete meal, or serves four to six as a starter.
The marinade is easy and tasty, and while the prawns marinate, the brown rice soaks in stock. Soaking rice and grains before cooking can help with digestion and increases the availability of nutrients; and there’s a wonderful bonus – the stock adds lots of extra flavour.
Chinese cuisine is a favourite restaurant and take-away (take out) meal around the world – when I was a child in Vancouver it was our special family treat once or twice a year. I learned to cook Chinese food when I was a teenager and now love to make many Chinese dishes in my Thermomix. I hope with this easy healthy recipe you will enjoy making and eating wonderful Chinese food at home too!
This recipe is suitable for Thermomix TM6, TM5 and TM31
- Place a bowl on TM lid and weigh prawns into it, then set aside.
- Blend garlic, ginger, wine, sugar, peppercorns, soy sauce, ½ tsp of the sea salt and 10 g of the oil 1 min/speed 10, then pour over prawns, stir to coat them, cover bowl with a plate and set aside in fridge to marinate for 2 hours. As soon as prawns are in fridge, add brown rice and stock to TM bowl (no need to clean TM bowl) and set aside to soak.
- Place TM simmering basket in a large bowl, then pour rice and stock through it to reserve the stock; place simmering basket with drained rice aside on a plate. Set TM scales to zero, weigh into TM bowl reserved stock plus enough water to reach 1200 g, then add remaining 1 tsp sea salt.
- Insert simmering basket with drained rice into TM bowl and cook 20 min/Varoma/speed 4; meanwhile, arrange broccoli florets on Varoma tray and rinse under cold running water, place Varoma tray in Varoma dish, then cover with Varoma lid and set aside on a plate.
- Place covered Varoma in position instead of TM measuring cup on TM lid and steam 10 min/Varoma/speed 4.
- Set covered Varoma aside on a plate; remove simmering basket of rice with aid of TM spatula and place it on a plate; cover simmering basket with a tea towel (kitchen towel) to keep rice warm. Discard steaming liquid (or save for a soup), then heat remaining 20 g oil 2 min/Varoma/speed 1.
- Add prawns with all their marinade and cook 3 min/Varoma/reverse/speed 1 or until pink and cooked through – if not yet done, stir gently with spatula, replace TM lid and leave prawns to rest 5 minutes to finish cooking in the residual heat – see 4th tip. Place steamed rice and broccoli in warm bowls then add stir fried prawns, pouring the cooked marinade over top as a sauce; serve and enjoy.
Comments & Questions
Sign in or create your account to join the conversation