My good friend and famous Indonesian cookery writer Sri Owen has kindly shared her excellent peanut satay sauce recipe with me and I have adapted it for Thermomix. Sri bought her first Thermomix in 1980 and has since then added two more models. She uses her ‘clever kitchen helpers’ extensively for much of her cooking and entertaining.
After the peanuts are fried for a lovely roasted flavour, they are ground for literally a few seconds. The sauce is cooked and finished in your Thermomix and I am very grateful that this is done without any mess – when I used to make it in a wok, there would always be spits of hot sticky peanut sauce decorating me and my kitchen!
Sri created the flavour combination for this rich peanut sauce to happily be a dip, a dressing for vegetables (think of Indonesian gado-gado salad), or a sauce with any grilled meat, fish or shellfish. You may recognise tasty hints from a variety of sauces that are widely known in Southeast Asia. This is an assertive, piquant sauce, full of eastern delight and it’s a pleasure and honour to share the recipe with you.
This recipe is suitable for Thermomix TM6, TM5 and TM31.
- Line a dinner plate with paper towels (kitchen towel), place a bowl on top of TM lid and weigh peanut oil and raw peanuts into it. Transfer peanuts and peanut oil to a wok or saucepan over a medium heat and fry, stirring continuously, approx. 5-10 minutes until the few nuts that have lost their skins turn golden, the skins darken slightly and the peanuts start to smell roasted – don’t let them turn brown. Immediately transfer roasted peanuts with a slotted spoon to the lined plate and set aside to cool completely; set wok with oil aside to cool.
- Transfer cooled roasted peanuts to TM bowl, discard paper towels (kitchen towel) then grind peanuts 2-5 sec/speed 8 until fine. Transfer ground peanuts back to plate and set aside.
- Place 100 g water, shallots, garlic, chilli powder, coriander, cumin, coconut sugar, tamari, sea salt, tamarind paste, shrimp paste if using, and 60 g of the reserved peanut roasting oil in TM bowl, then blend 45 sec/speed 10.
- Scrape down lid and sides of TM bowl with spatula then cook 10 min/Varoma/speed 1.
- Add remaining 400 g water and reserved ground peanuts then cook 20 min/Varoma/speed 2. Taste and adjust the seasoning with ¼-½ tsp sea salt if desired, then serve hot or at room temperature with barbecue chicken skewers or another cooked meat/fish/shellfish of your choice. Can also be served cold as a dressing for the classic Indonesian vegetable salad ‘gado-gado’ or as a dip with vegetable sticks.
Comments & Questions
Sign in or create your account to join the conversation