Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
Spaghetti alla puttanesca is great for a quick meal and has a wonderful fresh spicy flavour. Puttanesca sauce is traditionally served with spaghetti, however it also goes well with other pasta shapes. We love to serve this dish on a large platter as it looks wonderful when placed on the centre of the table! The sauce can easily be doubled – see tips.
This recipe is suitable for Thermomix TM5 and TM31.
ACTIVE TIME 10 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME 25 MINUTES
SERVES 5 MAINS
- 50 g parmesan, cut in 2 cm pieces
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 or 2 fresh red chillies depending on spicy heat desired, tops removed
- 3-4 anchovy fillets (10 g), in oil, weighed after draining
- 50 g extra virgin olive oil
- 30 g capers, drained
- 50 g pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 400 g very ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 level tsp fine sea salt
- 500 g spaghetti or a dried pasta of your choice
- 25 fresh basil leaves to garnish
- Grate parmesan 3-10 sec/speed 10– you’ll hear when it’s done – the sound will change as the parmesan becomes finer. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Place a pot of water (for cooking the pasta) on the hob over a medium hot heat; meanwhile, chop garlic, chillies, anchovies and olive oil 7 sec/speed 5 and continue making the sauce.
- Scrape down sides of TM bowl with spatula and sauté 5 min/Varoma/speed 1.
- Add capers, olives and tomatoes then cook 15 min/Varoma/speed spoon/reverse; meanwhile, add sea salt and spaghetti to pot of boiling water and cook as per instructions on packet, stirring occasionally.
- Pour cooked spaghetti into Varoma dish over sink to discard cooking water, then transfer drained spaghetti back to empty pasta pot. Stir sauce into spaghetti and serve garnished with reserved grated parmesan and fresh basil leaves.
- To make double the amount of sauce, double the sauce ingredients and increase cooking time to 20 minutes in step 4. Makes enough for an extra batch of sauce to put in the freezer for an easy meal another time.