Traditional potato salad is a lovely thing! This simple recipe is a well-loved family favourite and I hope it will become a favourite for you too. It tastes best with homemade mayonnaise, so it’s well worth the 5 or 10 minutes it takes to whip up a batch of your own mayonnaise for this delicious salad.
In my native Canada, potato salad is a classic accompaniment to barbeques, and here in the UK I have been reminded of this by our recent spell of fabulous summer weather in the early spring. I will be serving this several times over the coming months!
- Add water to TM bowl, insert simmering basket and add potatoes to it, then place eggs in Varoma dish, cover with Varoma lid and steam 25 min/Varoma/speed 2.
- Place Varoma dish with hard-boiled eggs into a sink full of cold water to cool the eggs; meanwhile, lift simmering basket from TM bowl with aid of TM spatula and transfer steamed potatoes to Varoma tray to cool; discard steaming water.
- Chop spring onions and mayonnaise 7 sec/speed 5.
- Peel eggs, discarding shells, rinse peeled eggs under gently running water to remove any bits of shell, then add peeled eggs to TM bowl and chop into mayonnaise mixture 5 sec/reverse/speed 3½.
- Transfer egg mayonnaise mixture to a large serving bowl with cooled potatoes and stir together gently until potatoes are all coated with egg mayonnaise. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground pepper if desired.