Honey Amaretti Biscuits
Soft and delicious, these easy biscuits are fun to make and you might need to hide some to stop them all disappearing straight away! Using honey and a natural unrefined sugar adds some lovely caramelised flavours. Makes 25-30.
This recipe is suitable for Thermomix TM5 and TM31.
ACTIVE TIME 15 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME 1¼ HOURS
MAKES 25-30 BISCUITS
- 300 g almonds, whole or blanched – see tips
- 75 g local honey, preferably raw
- 50 g coconut sugar or palm sugar or unrefined cane sugar
- 150 g egg whites (from 4-5 large eggs)
- 1 pinch fine sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- 60 g dried fruit, cut in small pieces – optional
- 80 g dessicated (dried shredded) coconut – optional
- Place a large bowl on TM lid and weigh in dried fruit/coconut if using, then set bowl aside; grind 200 g of the almonds 10 sec/speed 8 and transfer to same large bowl.
- Roughly chop remaining 100 g almonds 3 sec/speed 5 and add to same large bowl. Wash and dry TM bowl and Butterfly whisk – they must be completely grease-free at this point (see tips).
- Insert Butterfly whisk, add honey, sugar, egg whites and sea salt then whisk 4 min/37°C/speed 3.
- Whisk 6 min/speed 3, transfer egg whites to large bowl with dry ingredients and fold together gently with a spatula until evenly mixed, then leave to rest 30 minutes; meanwhile, line a baking tray with silicone paper or a silicone mat and preheat oven to 180°C without fan/350°F/gas 4/Aga baking oven.
- Place heaped tablespoons of rested mixture on silicone mat and bake 12-15 minutes or until just golden, cool completely on baking tray then enjoy!
- If blanching the almonds yourself, they must then be completely dried until crisp again in a low oven or dehydrator before using in this recipe
- To de-grease TM bowl and Butterfly whisk, wash with hot soapy water, rinse, then insert Butterfly whisk, add 500 g water and 15 g vinegar, mix 2 min/50°C/speed 3 then discard vinegar water, rinse and dry.
- Store biscuits in an airtight container up to 1 week.
- Wrapped in clear cellophane with a bow, these make a lovely gift.