Guinness in a cake? Yes, this Guinness chocolate cake is perfect for any celebration and has become a favourite choice for birthdays in our extended family around the world. The inspiration for this recipe is from one by Nigella Lawson. Instead of a white icing, there is now a luxurious chocolate ganache topping, along with options for gluten free, no added sugar, and long soaking of the cake mixture for easier digestion and even better flavour. I hope you enjoy this superb cake as much as we do!
This recipe is suitable for Thermomix TM6, TM5 and TM31.
- Preheat oven to 180°C without fan/350°F/gas 4; butter a round 23 cm diameter springform cake tin and line base with greaseproof paper.
- Grind sugar if using, to caster (fine) sugar 5 sec/speed 10, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat Guinness and remaining 250 g butter 3 min/80°C/speed 1.
- Add cocoa powder, flour, reserved ground sugar (or dates and honey), crème frâiche, eggs and vanilla, mix 20 sec/speed 6 – see 1st tip for overnight method.
- Place soda bicarbonate in a small sieve and sprinkle soda over cake batter, using a spoon to press all the soda bicarbonate through the sieve. Mix 20 sec/speed 6, scrape down sides of TM bowl with spatula and repeat, then transfer to prepared cake tin and spread out evenly. Bake 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of cake comes out clean (Aga ovens: bake 1-1½ hours in middle of preheated baking oven). Allow cake to cool completely in cake tin on a wire rack.
Chocolate Ganache Method
- Heat cream, vanilla and chocolate 3 min/50°C/speed 3.
- Scrape down sides of TM bowl with spatula, add butter and mix 3 min/speed 3 or until ganache is completely melted and smooth.
- Transfer cake from tin to a serving plate, pour ganache onto cake and use a palette knife to smooth ganache over the edges so it drips down the sides. Serve within 3-4 hours while ganache is still soft enough to cut easily.
Comments & Questions
Sign in or create your account to join the conversation
This is my all time favourite cake! I make it for every birthday!