Brilliant burgers! These homemade beef burgers beat store-bought pre-formed burgers hands down and they are quick and easy to make. This is my Mum’s recipe and it was originally designed to extend her one pound (450 g) of minced beef to make six burgers so there would be enough for the whole family. All her extra ingredients make these burgers wonderfully moist, tender and delicious. Everyone who comes to our barbeques raves about them, and we regularly get ‘teenager approved’ ratings… a high commendation indeed!
I like to make a quick salad such as Grandma’s Coleslaw or Caesar Salad to serve with my burgers. By the way, if you have any vegans or vegetarians coming to your barbeque, make a batch of my Spicy Bean Burgers too.
This perfectly kneaded burger mixture can also be made into a meatloaf for an easy midweek hot meal, or cool your meatloaf and chill it, then cut in slices for tasty lunchboxes or a picnic.
This recipe is suitable for Thermomix TM6, TM5 and TM31.
- Make savoury breadcrumbs – mince garlic, parsley and bread Turbo/½ sec/3 times and repeat if required until evenly crumbed.
- Add sea salt, pepper and onion, then chop 5 sec/speed 5.
- Add ketchup followed by minced beef in small, loosely pulled apart amounts, then knead 30 sec/dough setting – if not yet coming together, add egg yolk and knead again 5-10 sec/dough setting (minced beef can vary in how coarsely it’s been minced and bread can vary in moisture content, so you may need the egg yolk occasionally).
- Divide burger mixture into 6 even amounts and shape each into a patty approx. 12 cm diameter, placing them on a greaseproof paper lined tray. Chill burger patties in fridge until ready to barbeque; this can be done up to 1 day ahead.
- Grill on medium hot barbeque 2-3 minutes each side or until done, or pan fry them over medium heat. Serve with salads of your choice, and/or ‘build’ a burger in a bun (bread roll) with your choice of horseradish cream sauce, tomato ketchup, mayonnaise, lettuce, rocket (arugula), sliced tomato, pickles, cheese, avocado, bacon.