Guinness Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Ganache, Softly Whipped Cream
This delicious chocolate cake was adapted for Thermomix by Louise Toosey from Nigella Lawson’s recipe. It is simply superb! Serves 12 to 20.
Guinness Chocolate Cake
250 g Guinness or stout
250 g unsalted butter, diced
60 g cocoa powder
400 g sugar
140 g sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tsp real vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
280 g plain flour
2½ tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking powder)
1. Weigh Guinness into the TM bowl. Add butter and melt 3 minutes/50ºC/Speed 1 (the butter should be softened or melted).
2. Add cocoa, sugar, sour cream, eggs and vanilla. Mix 45 seconds/Speed 5.
3. Add flour and bicarbonate of soda. Mix 20 seconds/Speed 3. Pour into a buttered and lined 23cm springform tin. Bake for 45 to 70 minutes at 180ºC without fan/160ºC with fan/Gas Mark 4. Cool completely before applying ganache topping.
250 g dark chocolate
250 g double cream
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1 tsp unsalted butter
1. Heat all the ingredients together 3 minutes/50ºC/Speed 2 or until chocolate is completely melted. Pour onto cooled cake and smooth over the edges.
Softly Whipped Cream
250 g double cream or whipping cream
1. Insert Butterfly Whisk. Weigh in double cream and whip at Speed 3/Measuring cup OFF until very softly whipped.
Tip: Watch carefully through the hole in the TM lid and stop as soon as the cream starts to thicken, then do a few seconds more at a time until just softly whipped. It will be more whipped under the surface than it looks on top!