Chicken in Yoghurt (Indian Recipe), Steamed Basmati Rice
This recipe has become famous all over the world because “Fast and Easy Indian Cooking”, a Thermomix recipe book by Janie Turner and Rosie Laljee, is now sold worldwide! Serves 4.
40 g oil
150 g onions, peeled and quartered
2 whole green cayenne chillies, fresh, tops removed
20 g ginger, sliced along the lines on the skin into 2mm “coins”
10 g fresh coriander, leaves and stems
10 g garlic cloves, peeled
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp sea salt or rock salt
100 g water
70 g tomato purée
500 g Greek-style yoghurt
500 g boneless skinless chicken leg meat cut into 3cm pieces
Before you start – If you need ground coriander and/or ground cumin, grind them while your TM bowl is clean and dry. Set aside. Then peel your garlic cloves in your TM, discard the skins and set them aside.
1. Heat the oil 1 minute/100ºC/Speed Spoon.
2. Add onion, chillies, ginger, fresh coriander and garlic. Mince 5 seconds/Speed 5 then cook 5 minutes/100ºC Speed Spoon with the Measuring Cup OFF.
3. Add dry spices and salt and cook 3 minutes/100ºC/Speed Spoon with the Measuring Cup ON.
4. Add 100 g water and cook 5 minutes/100ºC/Speed Spoon.
5. Add yoghurt, tomato purée and chicken and cook 20 minutes/100ºC/Speed Spoon/Reverse Blade Direction. (If you prefer breast meat, cook 15 minutes instead.)
Tip: If you prefer a vegetarian dish, omit the chicken and use vegetables and/or cooked pulses of choice and/or diced paneer instead.
For a paneer recipe, see “Fast and Easy Indian Cooking”, available from UK Thermomix .
Tip: To serve 8 to 10, the easiest method is to double the amount of chicken only, but if you prefer lots of sauce, you can double all the other ingredients as well and cook until the chicken is tender.
Tip: Once made, set aside and use your second TM bowl to steam perfect basmati rice.
Perfect Basmati Rice
Weigh 40 g per person into internal steaming basket, add 1 tsp fine sea salt. Minimum weight of rice is 40 g, maximum weight is 400 g (i.e. 1 to 10 servings).
Steam over 1 litre of water for 20 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed 3, turning up the speed to Speed 4 if it bubbles up onto the TM lid.
Note: Water and salt amounts are the same regardless of the amount of rice you cook.
If you’d like more information on buying a second Thermomix bowl, please contact UK Thermomix.