Carrot & Coriander Soup, Cheese Scones
Soups in the Thermomix are fantastic – very easy, time-saving, lots of flavour and nourishment. Carrot and Coriander Soup is a favourite in the UK, and this one is better than any you could buy! Enjoy it with these little cheesy scones.
Cheese Scones - makes 24-30 small scones
450 g plain or strong flour – I use organic for the best flavour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
120 g butter, diced
120 g cheddar cheese, cut in 2 cm chunks
250 g milk
1. Chop the flour, baking powder, salt, butter and cheese for a few seconds at Speed 6 until like rough breadcrumbs.
2. Add milk, set the Speed Dial to the lid closed position and knead 30 seconds/Dough Setting. If required, scrape down the sides of the TM bowl with the spatula and knead again once. Place spoonfuls onto a baking tray (they shouldn’t be smooth) and bake in a hot oven for about 10 to 15 minutes until all the little cheesy rough bits take on a golden colour and crispness.
Carrot & Coriander Soup – serves 4
40 g red split lentils
1 thinly peeled strip of lemon skin
2 cm fresh ginger sliced into 2mm “coins” along the lines on the skin
300 g carrots, cut into chunks
1 small onion, peeled and cut in half
50 g butter
120 g cream or milk (optional)
water or stock – I like to use home-made TM chicken or vegetable stock
½ tsp sea salt
freshly ground pepper
a few sprigs fresh coriander
1 tsp TM stock paste or 1 stock cube if using water as the liquid
1. Grind lentils, lemon peel and ginger 20 seconds/Speed 10.
2. Add onion, carrots, butter and stock paste or stock cube if using. Chop a few seconds/Speed 4½.
3. Add water or stock to the 1 litre mark on the TM bowl. Cook 15 minutes/100ºC/Speed 2.
4. Add coriander, salt and pepper. Add cream and milk (if using). Pureé 1 minute/Speed 10 until smooth.